Iran‘s Foreign Minister Abbas Araqchi on Saturday strongly denied a reported meeting between Tehran’s United Nations envoy and U.S. billionaire Elon Musk, in an interview with state TV.
Araqchi also warned that Iran was “prepared for confrontation or cooperation” in its dispute with the UN nuclear watchdog IAEA and Western countries within the body over its nuclear programme.
“This (reported meeting) was a fabricated story by American media, and the motives behind this can also be speculated,” Araqchi said, reiterating an earlier denial by Iran’s Foreign Ministry.
Also Read: ‘No plans to assassinate Donald Trump’: Iran pens message to US govt amid increasing tensions
The New York Times reported on Thursday that Musk, who is an adviser to U.S. President-elect Donald Trump, met with Iran’s ambassador to the United Nations on Monday.
“In my opinion, the American media’s fabrication about a meeting between Elon Musk and Iran’s representative is a form of testing the waters to see if the ground for such move exists,” Araqchi said.
“We are still waiting for the new U.S. administration to clarify its policies, and based on that, we will adjust our own policies. Right now, it is neither the time for such meetings nor is it appropriate,” Araqchi said.
“There was no permission from the leadership for such a meeting,” Araqchi said, referring to Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, who has the final say in all matters of state.
Relations between Tehran and the IAEA have soured over several long-standing issues, including Iran barring the agency’s uranium-enrichment experts from the country and its failure to explain uranium traces found at undeclared sites.
“Our nuclear path in the coming year will be sensitive and complex, and we are prepared for confrontation or cooperation,” Araqchi said.
He said that the 2015 nuclear deal, from which Trump exited in 2018 in his first term, no longer holds the same value for Iran.
“If negotiations begin, the nuclear pact may serve as a reference, but it no longer has its previous significance. We must reach a feasible agreement,” Araqchi said.
In her two decades as a human rights lawyer, working on issues in more than 25 countries, Hadar Harris says she is alarmed by what she's witnessing on U.S. soil
Nick BeakeEurope correspondentBBCAll his adult life, Colonel Soren Knudsen stepped forward when his country called. And when its allies did.He fought alongside
Last week’s Oval Office blowup with Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky exemplified what many foreign policy experts have long feared: that th
President Donald Trump creates a task force to prepare for the 2026 W